Every year deserves a soundtrack. And here are my favorite tunes of 2014. The ones that carried me through, brought me back, crushed me, soothed me, lifted me, pushed me past mile 5 and generally made me look like a crazy person on NYC sidewalks. Enjoy the countdown and Happy 2015!
25. "Red Eyes" - War on Drugs
Must have made The Boss proud this spring. My best air guitar moments.
24. "Bassically" - Tei Shi
Like Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" on acid.
23. "Pocketknife" - Mr. Little Jeans
Best dance song.
22. "I Love You" - Woodkid
French video director makes an incredible album.
21. "Hideaway" - Kiesza
Hello again, 1993...
20. "Gods & Monters" - Lana Del Rey
Elsa Mars brought me here.
19. "Blank Space" - Taylor Swift.
No, you are not too cool for Taylor Swift. And definitely not too cool for this video.
18. "Happy Idiot" - TV On The Radio
These indie rock dudes made one of the catchiest songs this year.
17. "Dark Horse" - Katy Perry
Surprising move that paid off.
16. "Classic" - The Knocks
Best summer song.
15. "Hidden X's" - Fuck Buttons
Rich, atmospheric, soundtracky gem.
14. "Chandelier" - Sia
There's life after 40 on pop radio... and best video of the year.
13. "Stay With Me" - Sam Smith
When radio gets it right.
12. "Take Me to Church" - Hozier
That voice. And yeah, about religion...
11. "From Eden" - Hozier
"Babe, there's something tragic about you. Something so magic about you. Don't you agree?"
10. "Living For Love" - Madonna
First time she really nails it since 2005.
9. "I'm Not The Only One" - Sam Smith
Burn it. Burn it all down.
Too cool for America's Disneyfied radio.
7. "Looking Too Closely" - Fink
6. "Queen" - Perfume Genius
Subversive. Best rock song. My new favorite artist.
5. "Seasons Change" - Future Islands
Best Melody. "But I've grown tired of trying to change for you"
Great pop. The bad girl touch makes all the difference.
3. "Gold" - James Vincent McMorrow
Made me smile each time.
2. "In These Arms of Love' - Cut Copy
1. 'CAN'T DO WITHOUT YOU' - CARIBOU
Favorite tune of the year. Soul, Disco, Magic. I want to live inside this one. Just perfect.